Technology: Before, During, and After
Search the Internet. At google or Ask Jeeves or check out How Stuff Works
Every wonder what life was like before computers? Before Telephones? Before Toilet Paper? Much of human history and improvements in society have come about as a result of technological developments. In fact, technology has had a bigger impact on human history than any other factor.
To meet the requirements of this challenge you must create a poster that shows how life was before, during, and after the development of a new technology. Secifically you should:
- Pick a technology from the topic list below. If you would like to do a technology not on the list, obtain approval of your teacher.
- Before: Research the topic to find out what society was like before the technology.
- During: Research the topic to find out about how the technology came to be. Who invented it? When did it come into common use?
- After: Research the topic to find out what impact the technology has had on society. How is life different since the technology was created? How do societies that use the technology differ from those that don't, either today or in the past.
- Create a poster (perhaps a one slide powerpoint) to present your findings.
- Your technology should be one that was developed and adopted over a relatively short period of time. Avoid "timeline" appropriate items.
- Use at least three separate sources ("google" and/or "wikipedia" is not a source).
- Document your sources in your engineer's notebook. Use APA format.
|Standard for Superior Achievement|
|Title and Graphics, Style and Organization||Creative title that accurately describes the material. Illustrations are effective and balanced. Uses bullets and captions.|
|Before||Fully describes the social situation as it existed prior to the invention.|
|During||Lists inventor, brief story, key dates. Clearly states when invention came into general use.|
|After||Clearly shows the invention's impact on society and on history|
|Documentation||Product reflects in-depth research. All actions documented in engineers notebook. |
- Neolithic Revolution
- Codex Book
- Printing Press
- The Mechanical Clock
- Otto Cycle
- Bessemer Process
- Water Wheel
- Celluloid Roll Film
- Textile Mills
- Electric Power
- Electric Lighting
- Electric Motors
- Nuclear Fission
- Vulcanized rubber
- Indoor Plumbing
- Steam Engine
Last updated on 18 September 2014 by P. A. Wiedorn