POE Truss Bridge
In order to test our truss analysis we will make simple truss bridges in teams of 2.
- Design a simple truss, 300mm long and 100mm high.
- Analyze the truss. Calculate the predicted tension or compression in each member under a 100 pound load.
- Each partner will make one side of a bridge based on this truss (estimated time 1 class period).
- Gusset the joints with small pieces of paper.
- Joint the two sides together with a "wind truss" to make a bridge (estimated time, 1 class period).
- Predict the weight at which the bridge will fail based on a balsawood stick fracturing at 62 pounds of tension or compression.
- Load the bridge to failure in the SSA.
- Record the force at which the bridge fails
- Score will be based on how close the predicted is to the measured load at failure.
- 1/8 inch square balsa wood.
- Green or white glue.
- Paper Gussets not more than 3/8 inch on any side.
- 300.0mm long, -0, +25mm.
- 50.0mm wide, +0, -25mm.
- Load will be applied at the top of the bridge, 100.0mm above the support surface and 50.0mm to the left of center.
- Load plate is 50mm square.
- Maximum bridge weight 25 grams.
- The top of the bridge (roadway) must be flat and level for at least 150mm, 75mm on each side of center. Don't waste sticks making an actual road surface.
Bridge Design Tutorial
Last updated on 19 December 2013 by P. A. Wiedorn